Conference: "Diversity in Houston’s Multi-Cultural Society: Working Efficiently with Children,Adolescents and their Families"
Keynote Speaker Dr. Richard Lewis, Jr., is president of Round top Consulting and Associate Professor of Sociology at the University of Texas at San Antonio. His academic specialties include the areas of diversity management, strategic planning, public administration, and social science research. Dr. Lewis served as Associate Dean for the College of Liberal and Fine Arts from 1997 to 2002. He was Special Assistant to the President from 2002-2007. He co-authored along with George Yancey of "Interracial Families: Current Concepts and Controversies".
There will be afternoon breakout sessions on the following topics:
- Religion as an aspect of diversity in delivering services
- Service delivery in the Asian Pacific American Communities
- Building cultural competence in youth and family serving systems
- Working with the Hispanic Community in the Child Welfare System
- The diversity inherent in physical and mental disability
- Service provision for African-Americans – disproportionality
- GLBT Teens and Adolescents – what to consider in providing service