DePelchin's families come in all shapes and sizes. They are single, or married, same sex or traditional, working or retired. They are renters or homeowners, have children of their own or no parenting experience. What they all share is a genuine desire to care for children and the ability to provide a safe and loving home.
DePelchin works with couples and individuals through its foster care program who can provide temporary care for children until they can return home safely. Some of these children are reunited with their birth families, but there are also many children who are unable to be reunited and are ‘legally free’ for adoption. DePelchin works with all families through its foster care adoption program, to support couples and individuals wanting to adopt children who are in the care of Child Protective Services and need a loving forever family.
STEPS TO BECOMING A FOSTER AND ADOPTIVE PARENT
The process of becoming a foster and adoptive parent with DePelchin typically lasts between three and six months and includes these five steps:
- Participate in an informational orientation
- Submit a complete application and other documentation
- Complete the required trauma-informed training program
- Participate in a home study
- Receive approval to be a verified foster or approved adoptive home
SUPPORT EVERY STEP OF THE WAY
DePelchin understands that the commitment to foster and adopt a child comes with great rewards — and great challenges. That’s why DePelchin supports its families every step of the way with a wide range of services, including:
- Specialized trauma-informed training and 24-hour crisis intervention
- Therapeutic counseling and in-home support through DePelchin's FIRST mental health program for families
- Resources for children’s activities and a referral and retention bonus
- Financial assistance for each foster child in the home
We want to hear from you! The first step to becoming a foster and adoptive parent with DePelchin is to participate in an informational orientation.
Informational orientations are available throughout the Greater Houston area at our main campus or at one of our satellite locations. Visit the Houston orientation calendar to learn more. Registration is not required to attend.
For informational orientations in Austin, San Antonio or Lubbock, please call our office directly.
Houston: (713) 802-6200
Austin: (512) 719-3222
San Antonio: (210) 691-3222
Lubbock: (806) 745-3222
For more information about our foster care and adoption program, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. If you have specific questions about foster care or would like to speak with one of our staff members, please complete our online inquiry form.