Take a Stand for Texas Children
In 2017, there were 63,657 children who were confirmed victims of child abuse in Texas. DePelchin Children’s Center takes responsibility for standing up for these children’s well-being every day at our offices in Austin, Brownwood, Houston, Lubbock and San Antonio.
According to the Department of Family and Protective Services, below are the number of confirmed victims in each city where DePelchin has an office:
Houston (Harris County):6,551
Austin (Travis County): 2,172
Lubbock (Lubbock County): 1,032
San Antonio: (Bexar County): 5,588
Each of us has a role and responsibility in standing up for children who do not have a voice in our community. Know the signs and know what to do if you believe a child is being abused.
Signs of physical, emotional and sexual abuse:
- Unexplained burns, cuts, bruises or welts
- Anti-social behavior and problems in school
- Fear of adults
- Self-destructive or suicidal behavior
- Depression and lack of concentration
- Continually dirty or wearing unsuitable clothing for weather
- Inappropriate interest in or knowledge of sexual acts
What to do if you believe a child is being abused:
- Stay calm and be reassuring
- Listen, but do not press for information
- Call your local police or the Texas Abuse Hotline at 1-800-252-5400
- In an emergency, call 911
To keep up to date on how DePelchin is helping children across Texas everyday, sign up for our newsletter.