DePelchin Children’s Center believes every child deserves a safe and loving home. Every day in the State of Texas, children are removed from their birth families because of abuse, neglect or abandonment and desperately need the care of a loving family.
DePelchin partners with couples and individuals through its foster care program who can provide temporary care for children until they can return home safely. Some of these children are reunited with their birth families, but there are also many children who are unable to be reunited and are ‘legally free’ for adoption. Through its foster care adoption program, DePelchin supports couples and individuals wanting to adopt children who are in the care of Child Protective Services and need a loving forever family.
STEPS TO BECOMING A FOSTER AND ADOPTIVE PARENT
The process of becoming a foster and adoptive parent with DePelchin typically lasts between three and six months and includes these five steps:
- Participate in an informational orientation
- Submit a complete application and other documentation
- Complete the required trauma-informed training program
- Participate in a home study
- Receive approval to be a verified foster or approved adoptive home
SUPPORT EVERY STEP OF THE WAY
DePelchin understands that the commitment to foster and adopt a child comes with great rewards — and great challenges. That’s why DePelchin supports its families every step of the way with a wide range of services, including:
- Specialized trauma-informed training and 24-hour crisis intervention
- Therapeutic counseling and in-home support
- Resources for children’s activities and a referral and retention bonus
- Financial assistance for each foster child in the home
We want to hear from you! The first step to becoming a foster and adoptive parent with DePelchin is to participate in an informational orientation.
Informational orientations are available throughout the Greater Houston area at our main campus or at one of our satellite locations. Visit the Houston orientation calendar to learn more. Registration is not required to attend.
For more information about our foster care and adoption program, contact us at email@example.com. If you have specific questions about foster care or would like to speak with one of our staff members, please complete our online inquiry form.