WHO CAN FOSTER AND ADOPT?
DePelchin’s families come in all shapes in sizes. They are single or married, same sex or traditional, working or retired. They are renters or homeowners, have children of their own or no parenting experience. What they all share is a genuine desire to care for children and the
ability to provide a safe and loving home. To foster and adopt a child, prospective parents should meet the following minimum requirements:
- Be at least 21 years of age
- Be in good physical health
- Pass a criminal background check
- Be able to financially provide for a child
STEPS TO BECOMING A FOSTER AND ADOPTIVE PARENT
The process of becoming a foster and adoptive parent with DePelchin typically lasts between three and six months and includes these five steps:
- Participate in an informational orientation
- Submit a complete application and other documentation
- Complete the required trauma-informed training program
- Participate in a home study
- Receive approval to be a verified foster or approved adoptive home
We want to hear from you! The first step to becoming a foster and adoptive parent with DePelchin is to participate in an informational orientation.
Due to the similar nature of the application processes, orientations for foster care and adoption are combined. Registration is not required to attend.
For informational orientations in Houston, view the calendar or download our 2018 Houston calendar or call our office directly at (713) 802-6200.
For informational orientations in Austin, view the calendar or call our office directly at (512) 719-3222.
For more information about our foster care and adoption program, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. If you have specific questions about foster care or would like to speak with one of our staff members, please complete our online inquiry form.