Who Can Adopt?
Adoptive parents are everyday people from every walk of life. They come from all income levels and can be single or married, working or retired. They can be renters or homeowners, have children of their own or no parenting experience. What they all share is a desire to welcome a child into a permanent, loving family. To adopt, prospective parents should meet the following minimum requirements:
- Be at least 21 years of age
- Be in good physical health
- Pass a criminal background check
- Be able to financially provide for a child
- If married, must have been married for at least 2 years
Note: DePelchin is only able to facilitate adoptions for prospective parents currently residing in Greater Houston and its surrounding areas. We currently do not facilitate adoptions for individuals or couples living abroad or outside the Greater Houston area, even for those who have "primary" or "permanent" residence in Houston.