How To Get Involved
Administrative Volunteer: Clerical and administrative support is always needed within the various departments at DePelchin Children's Center. These volunteers help with tasks like filing, copying, data entry, supply inventory, mailings, etc.
Residential Treatment Center Volunteer: DePelchin has a residential center in Richmond, Texas for children ages 5-12 who suffer from severe mental, emotional, or behavioral problems that inhibit normal functioning in a family setting. In this situation, volunteers help our staff provide positive interaction and fun activities for the children living on campus. Volunteer slots for this particular option are very limited.
Childcare Volunteer: DePelchin offers support groups as well as education classes as a means of supporting the parents in our adoption and foster care programs. Volunteers help our staff support these families by providing childcare during their meetings at our Memorial campus.
Family Event Volunteers: Several times a year DePelchin hosts events for our families. Volunteers help with set up, check-in, serving food, playing with the children, and much more. The number of volunteers we need will vary depending on the event and amount of families that plan to attend.
Donation Station: DePelchin receives many in-kind donations that are stored in our “donation station”. We need volunteers to help us sort, organize, and prepare the gifts we receive to deliver to our children and their families. This opportunity is available on an ongoing basis.
Workday Volunteers: We have various campus beautification projects that are completed by volunteers on an as-needed basis. The projects may include tasks like painting, power washing, or gardening. In order to accommodate larger groups (20-120) funding for the project must be provided.
Restrictions to note:
- In order to volunteer in an ongoing capacity we require each potential volunteer to complete an application, interview, clear a criminal back (including fingerprinting), complete a TB test, and have three letters of reference. Once all of these steps are complete, each volunteer will complete an online training.
- We do not have children living on our Memorial campus so there are not opportunities to visit with children there.
- We do not have opportunities to hold babies.
- We do not offer observation hours for students pursing an undergraduate degree in any mental health services.
- We are only able to offer undergraduate internships if the university has a written agreement with DePelchin Children's Center.
- Internships for less than a year or 300 hours are not considered.
- Graduate internship inquiries need to go through our Human Resource department. (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- We have very limited opportunities for children under the age of 14 to volunteer, none of which are available on an ongoing basis.
If you are interested in volunteering at DePelchin Children's Center, please contact Ashley Garner at AGarner@depelchin.org
Birthday Buddies: Our hope is that each child within our foster program will be given the chance to feel celebrated on their birthday. To make that happen, DePelchin partners with our invaluable supporters to provide a birthday bag filled with gifts and all the supplies necessary for a birthday party. If you are interested in becoming a birthday buddy, click here or contact Ashley Garner at email@example.com.
School Supply Drive: We provide basic school supplies for our children in order to ensure that they are ready to learn on their first day of school. If you are interested in partnering with DePelchin to make this possible, please contact Ashley Garner at firstname.lastname@example.org. (Please note: all supplies must be received by July 26)
Thanksgiving Baskets: Many Houston-area families are unable to provide the luxury of a traditional Thanksgiving meal for their families. In order to meet this need within our community, DePelchin distributes Thanksgiving Baskets. The baskets include items like canned vegetables, cranberry sauce, instant mashed potatoes, and boxed stuffing. If you are interested in partnering with DePelchin to make this possible, please contact Ashley Garner at email@example.com. (Please note: all supplies must be received by November 4)
Holiday Project: This annual effort provides gifts and basics needs to the children and families utilizing DePelchin Children’s Center services. During the holiday season, you can help make this possible by fulfilling wish lists, hosting toy drives, donating needed items, making monetary contributions, and volunteering to sort and pack gifts. If you are interested in partnering with DePelchin for our Holiday Project, please contact Ashley Garner at firstname.lastname@example.org. (Please note: all donations must be received by December 9).