Volunteer or Collect Needed Items
Thank you for your interest in volunteering at DePelchin Children's Center. Volunteers play an important part in helping us fulfill our mission to strengthen the lives of children and families.
DePelchin provides out-patient mental health services at our locations throughout Greater Houston, including at our main building located at 4950 Memorial Drive. Please note that children receiving services at our main campus are attending appointments only and do not live on campus. If you are looking for a volunteer position where you can interact with children, a few opportunties are listed below. Currently, there are only weekday positions available. There are no evening or weekend openings.
In addition, there are no volunteer openings for teenagers at this time, but some may become available during the summer months. Teen voluntees must be 15 years of age or older and can only work in an administrative capacity.
Volunteers must be able to commit to a minimum of six months to qualify for administrative positions and one year to qualify for positions involving client contact. All accepted volunteers must pass a criminal background check, have a current TB clearance, have three letters of reference and be able to take online training.
If any of the below positions interest you, please email Debbie Gregg, Manager of Volunteer Services and Community Engagement, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Current Volunteer Opportunities
Donation Station Volunteer
Volunteers are needed in our donation warehouse for the months of January to October, assisting with sorting and organizing donations; weekdays 1:00 – 3:00 p.m.
Volunteers are needed in our lobby areas to check out books or play games with children while they wait for their appointment. Teaching or child development background is required. Three-hour shifts available Monday through Friday, 9:00 a.m. - 6:00 p.m.
Volunteers are needed in all departments to assist with copying, filing, data entry and other duties as assigned. Three-hour shifts available Monday through Friday, 9:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.
Groups can organize off-site collection drives to benefit our children and families.
Only new items can be accepted.
- Corner Pantry - Baby formula and non-perishible food items are needed for our children and families.
- Kid's Closet - Socks, underwear, coats, and jackets are needed for children ages 4-17.
- Kid's Collections - Toys, board games, small electronic games, puzzles, dolls, trucks, crafts and pretend play items are needed for our children and families.
- School Supplies - School supplies and school uniforms are needed for all age levels.
- Housewarming Baskets - Young adults staying in our transitional living center are in need of toiletry items, sheets and towels.
Our most-needed items are as follows:
- Gift cards to Kroger, Target, Walmart, gas stations
- Diapers (larger sizes 4,5 & 6)
- Shoes for infants, toddlers and 3-5 year olds
- Similac Advantage baby formula
- Infant and toddler car seats
- Sheets for twin size beds
- Back packs
- School uniforms (khaki pants, solid-colored collared shirts)
- School supplies (binders, manilla paper, composition books)
- Middle-school age and teenage clothing and shoes
- Children’s clothing (not infant), underwear and socks
- Winter coats and jackets
- Tickets to sporting events or local museums and entertainment events
- Play food
- Play doctor kits
- Lego kits
- Male Barbie dolls and Barbie clothing
- Arts and crafts
- Board games
- Non-perishable food items for our food room
For more information about collection drives or special events, please contact Debbie Gregg, Manager of Volunteer Services and Community Engagement, at email@example.com.
DePelchin does not accept volunteers or students interested in observation hours.
Undergraduate internships can only be considered if the university has a written agreement with DePelchin Children's Center. Internships less than a year or less than 300 hours are not considered. Graduate internships need to contact our Human Resources department. If you are seeking hours toward professional licensing, you must first be hired as an employee of DePelchin Children's Center.
If you have any questions regarding internships, please contact Debbie Gregg, Manager of Volunteer Services and Community Engagement, at firstname.lastname@example.org.