Skills for Success
Skills for Success is a substance abuse prevention program targeting Galveston County schools, families and communities. Through Skills for Success, DePelchin seeks to promote a drug-, alcohol- and tobacco-free lifestyle among youths living in Bacliff, Dickinson, Galveston, Hitchcock, La Marque, San Leon, Santa Fe and Texas City.
The Skills for Success program includes:
Presentations to schools or community groups about drugs, alcohol and tobacco prevention
Educational groups for children and youth at risk of substance use or abuse utilizing two evidence-based programs: Too Good For Drugs (4th – 8th grades) and Project Towards No Drug Abuse (9th – 12th grades)
Informational meetings for parents and parent education groups
Participation in health fairs, school functions and community events to raise awareness about substance abuse prevention
School and Community Initiatives
As part of Skills for Success, DePelchin implements a number of school and community-based programs to promote a substance-free lifestyle. They include:
- Red-Ribbon Week: Nation’s oldest and largest anti-drug campaign
- Tar Wars: Tobacco-free education program and national poster contest
- The Great American Smoke Out: Giving people resources to quit smoking
- The Store Alert Project: Raising awareness of tobacco marketing to minors
- Tobacco Free Kids Day: Encouragement for a tobacco-free lifestyle
- Youth Night Out: A night of fun without drugs, alcohol or tobacco
Skills for Success is a free program. For more information on Skills for Success or to find out if your school or community group is eligible for services, contact us at 281-332-1463.