What is Parent-Child Interaction Therapy?
Parent-Child Interaction Therapy (PCIT) is a short-term, specialized behavior management program for young children experiencing behavioral and/or emotional difficulties. PCIT works with the child and caregiver to improve overall behavior and to reduce parenting stress.
Goals of PCIT
- Improve your parent/caregiver-child relationship
- Improve your child’s minding and listening
- Increase your child’s ability to manage frustration and anger
- Increase your child’s appropriate social skills
- Improve your child’s attention skills
- Build your child’s self-esteem
Is PCIT right for you and your child?
PCIT is designed for young children between the ages of 2 and 7 years.
PCIT has been successful with:
- children with oppositional/defiant problems or aggressive behaviors
- children with Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD)
- children experiencing adjustment problems
- children impacted by substance abuse or parental abuse/neglect
- children in foster care placement, adopted or recently reunited with their parents
Benefits of PCIT
Children with challenging behaviors often have difficulty in home, childcare, public and school settings. Stress levels are high for the parents/caregivers and also between them and their children. Unfortunately, children rarely outgrow many of the difficult behaviors. Should their behaviors continue or increase, they are likely to interfere with the children’s learning abilities and development of appropriate social skills. The overall effectiveness of PCIT has been well-established through scientific research. Positive changes in the children’s behaviors have been seen in home, school, and childcare settings. These changes have even been noted in siblings of children participating in PCIT. At the completion of PCIT, parents/caregivers generally report a high level of satisfaction and decreased parental stress levels.
PCIT requires a 12-16 week commitment by the parent/caregiver and child with one session per week. Please fill out our inquiry form to learn more and find out if PCIT is right for you.